RMS FOTA: Device
The Device submenu located in the Fota menu tab can be used to add or remove devices from FOTA. Although devices added to RMS are also automatically added to FOTA, you can still add and remove devices from FOTA separately. This provides a more flexible option in managing your devices when it comes to configuration or firmware upgrades.
Devices that were added to RMS and automatically added to FOTA will also be automatically removed from FOTA if these devices are unregistered from RMS. Although if you add devices to FOTA separately, they will will not be removed from FOTA when you unregister them from RMS. Devices can also be added to FOTA without even being added to RMS.
This section of the RMS user manual provides an overview on the functions of the Device submenu.
The Add device function is used to add devices to FOTA.
- Scroll your mouse pointer to the Device submenu (Fota → Fota → Device) and click "Add device":
- Select to which profile the device(s) will be assigned to, place a check mark next the "Use username and password" field if you wish to set up an authentication system for that device(s), enter the device's serial number and LAN MAC address, click the "plus" symbol located near the bottom right of the pop-up box if you would like to add more devices and click the "Add device" button when you're finished:
- You will be informed by a pop-up that the device(s) was added successfully. You can close it:
- The added device(s) will appear in the FOTA device table:
Add device list
The Add device list function is used to add RUT devices to your FOTA device table from a compiled list.
- First, you must compile a list of your devices. The list must be comprised of devices' serial numbers and LAN MAC addresses and it must be stored in a CSV file. CSV is a simple file format used to store tabular data. You can create CSV files with programs like Microsoft's Excel or OpenOffice Calc or a simple Notepad type of program, which we'll be using for this example.
Create a new text file and list your devices. An entry for a single device should be comprised of the router's serial number and LAN MAC address separated by a comma (,) symbol. Different entries for different devices should be separated by line breaks:
- When you're done, do not save the file as is. Instead click click the "Save As" option. Then next to "Save as type" choose "All Files" and add the .csv extension next to the file name (if you're using Linux, you can just add the same extension to the file name after saving the file the regular way):
- Once you have the list file in order, scroll your mouse pointer to the Device submenu (Fota → Fota → Device) and click "Add device list":
- In the pop-up box select the desired profile, place a check mark next the "Use username and password" field if you wish to set up an authentication system for that device(s), upload the list file and click "Add device list":
- A new pop-up box signifying the number of new devices that have been added should appear. You can close it:
- The device(s) should appear in the FOTA device table:
The Unregister function is used to remove devices from FOTA.
- Select the device(s) that you would like to remove:
- Scroll your mouse pointer to the Device submenu (Fota → Fota → Device) and click "Unregister":
- You will be prompted by a pop-up asking whether you really want to remove the selected device(s). If you are ready to proceed, click "Yes":
The device(s) should no longer be visible in the FOTA device table.